Quantcast

17th Century Dutch translation help

mirabilis13
Hi,

Can anybody help me with the second part of this sentence.  I can manage the first half fine, but after dewelke, I'm kinda at a loss:

Deese plant heeft veel wortelen ter dickte van een schryfpen, dewelke eenighsints rood zynde klyne veeselen van sich geven;

Thanks,

Stephen

Re: 17th Century Dutch translation help

nicolien
This plant has many roots of a thickness of a writing pen (using ink n those days),  which(the roots) have slightly red looking little fibers. ( like hair roots)

Re: 17th Century Dutch translation help

mirabilis13
Hi Nicolien,

Thanks for your help.  I have been translating some text pages from an old Dutch botanical, but I have no knowledge of Dutch, least of all 17th century Dutch.  I work with a Dutch/English dictionary from 1766, a high school knowledge of German grammar, and a familiarity with the subject.  Surprisingly, most of the time I can get by with this, but sometimes I’m baffled.  I wondered if you would mind helping me from time to time when I encounter such difficulties?  Either through this forum or, preferably, privately.  I have an email account at Hotmail with the ID mutica.

Thanks again,

Stephen

Re: 17th Century Dutch translation help

srajano
hi Steven,
i do not quite agree with Nicolien;
i think what is said is that the roots are as thick as a pen, and release little fibers that are slightly red.